The footage of Stephane Grappelli and Django Reinhardt arena in the 1930’s is a actual attenuate section of video indeed, one of alone a scattering of blur recordings of the Hot Club De France (Django Reinhardt and Stephane Grappelli’s aboriginal beat Jazz band). The song is J’Attendrai (I Will Wait) a accepted tune of the day and played in the ‘Hot’ Jazz style. This is the alone archetype area the audio and video match, so what you’re seeing is what they are in fact playing.
So what do I adulation about this clip?
Stephane’s arena is confident, rich, candied and a little cheeky! Even if he’s sitting on a bed smoker he can play with amazing accentuation and tone. What’s absorbing is to see how his address has developed over the years, if you watch after footage of his arena he seems added airy with a loose, about ‘folkie’, feel. In this clip, recorded some time in the 1930’s, you can see he is still employing a added ‘classical’ or at atomic hardly added acceptable address (probably from a few years afore if he was acquirements the violin).
So what makes Grappelli, and this clip, so great?
His accentuation (tuning) is awe inspiring, I don’t anticipate I’ve every heard him play out of tune (no actively he’s that good), he’s developed the a lot of amazing ear for intonation, all down to his agreeable development (which we’ll appear to later). Watch his larboard duke closely, his bend is beneath the violin, wrist and appropriate duke beeline with his appropriate duke hardly angled advanced and appropriate duke fingers over the feel lath advancing down on the strings on the feel tips. The appropriate duke and deride are airy at all times. With out this he’s nothing.
The bow arm is appropriately impressive, at 3.17 you can see the bend and larboard duke and wrist level, decidedly if he goes to the alleviate of the bow. Just like his larboard wrist his appropriate is apart and flexible. Watch how he uses the accomplished of the bow too (later he absolutely generally stays in the top 3rd), putting the bow on the cord afore he pulls a note. Not to acknowledgment the chargeless syncopated beat feel he gets, but that’s a accomplished added lesson!
Another affection of Grappelli’s arena that I adulation is the candied vibrato he gets, decidedly on the top notes, you can see it comes from the duke and arm and is abbreviate and fast, just affliction the acidity out of the instrument.
The lick he pulls at 2.07, just at the end of the capital tune is fantastic, I’ve been aggravating to play this in my own Hot Club bandage for years! It’s a aggregate of syncopation, slides, cull offs, ability and absurd Jazz intuition that has addled me.
How did he advance into this?
The blueprint for acceptable this acceptable shouldn’t appear as a surprise, it takes an amazing bulk of convenance and effort! However, I accept in abbreviate it comes down to these 5 simple factors that anyone can do –
1) Practice, convenance and added convenance – Grappelli started off arena on the streets of Paris, busking for money and then, if he was old enough, confused assimilate Jazz Bands, cinema bands, Jazz clubs and affected fires with Django, sometimes arena all night. They say you charge to convenance for 10,000 hrs afore you become a ability on an instrument, I anticipate he accept to accept calmly clocked this up in his youth.JOYO JF-34
2) Listen/ watch and archetype – in his adventures he mentions abounding times that he watched, got tips/ lessons, and listened to abounding added musicians, not alone Jazz but classical players and affected what he saw.
3) Accept some acquaint – accessible absolutely but does help! I accept he advised at the Paris conservatory for a time.
4) Learn some piano – no agnosticism this would advice with his accentuation and compassionate of chords/ keys with his Jazz improvisation.
5) Listening to music – he would accept been amidst by Jazz music and classical music at the time, this meant that he new the music he played afore he approved to play it himself. This is acute for developing accentuation and aswell absorption on the 20% that needs convalescent (80/20 principle) if practicing anything.